The Hong Hong Tennis Open has been postponed, the WTA has said, after the territory has been hit with widespread protests in recent months.
It was due to be held between October 5-13 on the outdoor hard courts in Victoria Park, Causeway Bay.
But in a statement, tournament organisers said it would be put back “in light of the present situation”.
A summer of protest has rocked the territory, sparked by campaigns against a proposed extradition law which would allow Hong Kong suspects to be sent to China for trial.
Organisers said: “In light of the present situation, Hong Kong Tennis Association and the WTA are announcing a postponement of the 2019 Hong Kong Tennis Open.
“The event will no longer take place during 5-13 October.
“As the winner of the WTA International event of the year award in 2018, we strive to maintain a high standard of the event for all participants, players and the fans in particular.
“However, after extensive discussions with our key stakeholders, we conclude that a smooth running of the tournament can be better assured at a later time.”
Dayana Yastremska won last year’s tournament, with previous winners including Caroline Wozniacki and Jelena Jankovic.