BT Sport is now available to watch in more ways than ever before thanks to the introduction of a new large screen app available on Xbox, Samsung Smart TVs and Apple TV.
Initially allowing access to BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport 3, ESPN, BoxNation and the BT Sport Extra channels, the app is available on the new platforms to existing BT Sport customers at no extra charge*.
The app will also include on-demand content, highlights, TV listings and the BT Sport 4K UHD channel later this year**. This enhancement will ensure live sport in stunning ultra-high definition is available to more fans, by making these devices another way to access 4K content on TV.
Customers will be able to access BT Sport without the need for a set-top box, view content via a second screen at home and allow those with a digital subscription to watch on a big screen.
BT Sport customers can get the new app on Xbox, Samsung Smart TVs and Apple TV by simply visiting the home page or app stores on these devices. The app is free to download and existing customers can use their BT Sport subscription login to view content immediately.
For new customers, BT Sport is available for as little as £9 per month with BT Broadband***. EE customers on a Max plan can join BT Sport by texting ‘Sport’ to 150, with BT Sport access available from £10 per month.
Marc Allera, CEO of BT’s Consumer division, said: “We’re creating even more ways for our customers to watch their favourite sport in stunning high definition, wherever they are.
“We’re working to offer our customers unrivalled choice, with the best content, the smartest devices and the latest technology through partnerships with the world’s most innovative companies.
“Making BT Sport available on Apple TV, Samsung TVs and Xbox is just one of the ways we’re bringing great sport to even more customers and creating the best sports viewing experiences in the UK.”
BT Sport continues to create innovative viewing experiences for fans with further exciting enhancements planned.
Customers will be among the first in the world to experience live sport in stunning High Dynamic Range (HDR) picture quality this year****. HDR increases picture quality by preserving details in the darkest and brightest areas of a picture and allows for more natural, true-to-life colours that are closer to how we see them in real life.
In addition, BT Sport is developing plans for what is often termed 'object-based broadcasting', which will enable viewers to personalise and control some aspects or objects of programmes, such as audio or graphics.
Example applications could include the ability to control stadium and crowd noise levels versus commentary and for blind or partially sighted viewers to access audio description of live sport. We’re also trialling a private video chat service that allows fans to have real-time conversations with up to three friends while watching BT Sport in the same app.
Don’t forget, BT Sport’s small-screen app also brings you an unrivalled viewing experience with the ground-breaking enhanced video player, multi-camera streaming capabilities and 360° live streaming and highlights (on selected events).
The enhanced video player boasts an interactive timeline that allows users to switch between key in-game moments, viewable goal alerts, multi-cam replays, a detailed match engine and much more.
But it's also just the tip of the iceberg, as anyone with a BT Sport subscription and BT ID can access an incredible depth of live sport, exclusive videos and a huge TV catch up library.
*Customers who access BT Sport via a BT Mobile subscription or EE customers who access BT Sport via the basic £5 a month product will not get access to the new app.
**BT Sport 4K UHD will be a chargeable add-on to existing BT Sport subscriptions, but may be included in some connectivity bundles.
***Requires customer to have BT Superfast Fibre Essential (from £29.99 per month), and is £9 per month on top for BT Sport digital access.
****More details will be announced in due course.
- Samsung Smart TVs (2015 models onwards)
- Apple TV (Fourth generation devices onwards)
- Xbox One (One, One S and One X consoles)
- BT Sport’s five live TV channels, plus BT Sport Extra services
- Full HD (1080p up to 50 frames per second)
- 4K UHD, TV listings, highlights and on-demand launching soon
- Additional platforms and further personalised services to follow
How existing BT Sport customers can get the app
- Existing customers benefit at no additional cost
- Download BT Sport from app stores on these platforms
- Log in using existing BT ID and password*
How new BT Sport customers can get the app
- Fans subscribe to BT Sport directly via BT or EE, not through the large screen platforms themselves (eg iTunes for Apple TV)
- Take a ‘digital’ BT Sport subscription allowing access to BT Sport via the new app for large screens, or, via the app for mobile devices:
- £10/month, with an EE Pay Monthly Max plan (from £33 a month) or £15/month with an Essential Plan**
- £9/month (free for first 3 months), with BT Superfast Fibre Essential (from £29.99/month). In February, for a short time, Sport cost will be £4.50/month***
- Take a BT Sport subscription which allows access via: the following TV platforms, the new app for large screens, and, the app for mobile devices****:
- Sky TV (£12/month BT Sport + £29.99/month BT Broadband or £28/month without BT Broadband)
- BT TV (£6/month BT TV Starter + £29.99/month BT Broadband)
*Not available to BT Sport customers who access BT Sport via entry-level BT Mobile subscription, or, EE customers who access BT Sport via entry-level £5 a month BT Sport add-on.
**EE Pay Monthly Max plan customers already get free access to the BT Sport app on small screens such as mobiles and tablets. The £10 additional subscription enables access to the large screen app, and, allows these customers to ‘cast’ BT Sport from their small device to a TV set using a media streaming device such as Google Chromecast.
***This lower price applies for duration of 18-month contact. Offer available Feb 10 to 21.
****BT Sport large screen app not available to Virgin Media customers with BT Sport.