Upgrade to BT Sport

To view this content you need to upgrade your subscription from BT Sport Lite to BT Sport Pack.

Click here to get BT Sport now

MotoGP British Grand Prix cancelled due to safety concerns at Silverstone

Persistent rain prompts officials to take the decision to call off all three races following consultation with the riders, most of whom were reluctant to brave the hazardous track conditions.

The MotoGP British Grand Prix has been called off due to safety concerns.

Heavy rain was falling for much of Sunday at Silverstone and it was announced at 4.05pm that all three races had been cancelled.

Join now to watch MotoGP exclusively live on BT Sport all season long

The races will not be rescheduled, either, meaning a first full wipe-out of a MotoGP race day since the snow-affected 1980 Austrian Grand Prix.

"After a meeting between IRTA officials and the MotoGP™ riders, a decision has been made to cancel the GoPro British Grand Prix due to track conditions being deemed too unsafe," read an official MotoGP statement.

MotoGP race director Mike Webb elaborated on the decision at a hastily arranged press conference shortly after the announcement.

"We've been forced to cancel today's event due to the track condition," he said.

"Primarily it's due to water accumulated on the surface - and I think you've all seen the results of when we've been running in heavy rain.

"The circuit is not safe in some places because of the way the water does not drain from the surface. 

"We did everything we could to run an event today.

"Obviously the last thing any of us wants is to cancel it - however, safety remains the priority."

Reflecting on the news, BT Sport pundits James Toseland, Michael Laverty and Colin Edwards suggested that the recently relaid Silverstone surface contributed to the decision.

Webb admitted as much at the press conference.

"We've had a number of years' experience here in very wet conditions, with the old surface, and have been able to run races," he said.

"This year, with the new surface, is the first time we've encountered quite so much standing water."

At the meeting, just two of the MotoGP riders - Johann Zarco and Jack Miller - declared themselves happy to race.

"It's a case that the guys don't want to ride," a frustrated Miller told BT Sport. "It's a safety issue, as you can understand.

"They're not happy with how the asphalt is working, the drainage and after the accident yesterday involving Tito [Rabat]."

The Australian also questioned why the decision was taken just as the rain had finally stopped.

"It's a shame but for me, to cancel it already - after we'd been talking about waiting for the weather to clear up a bit - is shortcoming for everybody," he added.

Attention now turns to the San Marino GP, which begins on Friday, September 7th.

All the action from Misano will be shown exclusively live on BT Sport - weather permitting, of course.