Barcelona see cash-plus-Malcom bid for Willian turned down by Chelsea
Barcelona have seen a fresh approach for Brazilian winger Willian rejected by Chelsea, according to The Telegraph.
The Spanish league leaders made several attempts to sign the 30-year-old from the west London club last summer, and this time have thrown out of favour attacker Malcom in as a sweetener in a player-plus-cash offer. And despite the total value of the bid being in the region of £50m, it’s still not been deemed good enough by the Blues.
Barca paid £38m to French outfit Bordeaux for Malcom in July after initially missing out on Willian, but he has failed to impress since joining and struggled to make an impact as they fell to a 2-1 Copa del Rey defeat to Levante on Thursday night.
It’s not yet clear whether Barcelona will follow up on their offer after seeing this approach rejected, but Chelsea appear determined to keep a hold of Willian in spite of the fact he has just 18 months remaining on his current deal. Maurizio Sarri sees the player as a key member of the first team squad.
West Ham confirm Marko Arnautovic is not for sale despite CSL interest
West Ham have issued a stern warning that Marko Arnautovic is “not for sale” after the player’s brother, who also acts as his agent, admitted the Austrian wanted to move to the Chinese Super League.
An offer in the region of £35m was lodged by CSL club Shanghai SIPG earlier this week - though it was promptly rejected by the Hammers - and Danijel Arnautovic was not pleased after learning the news.
He told talkSPORT that “West Ham have a fantastic offer” and that his brother “wants to challenge for titles”, while admitting in the explosive statement that the former Stoke City player was looking to leave London.
West Ham, however, have so far been resistant to a sale and expect the player to honour his contract.
Everton compete with Palace and Fulham in Batshuayi chase
Everton have joined Premier League rivals Crystal Palace and Fulham in pursuit of another Chelsea player, Michy Batshuayi, and are interested in signing the Belgian on a permanent deal this month.
Batshuayi is available after being told he was not part of Chelsea’s plans at the start of the campaign, and was initially farmed out to Valencia on a season-long loan. However that move hasn’t exactly gone to plan either, and the club this week confirmed they were cutting the deal short after “running out of patience” with his performances.
Everton are looking to sign a new striker after seeing Cenk Tosun and Oumar Niasse fail to make the grade, while both Palace and Fulham have problems of their own in that department.
The Mirror report that Chelsea will consider bids in the region of £14m for the player.
Arsenal set to complete Suarez loan deal
Arsenal are close to signing of Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez after boss Unai Emery convinced the player to move to the Emirates.
Barca were initially believed to be holding out for a permanent deal for the Spaniard - formerly of Manchester City - but Goal report that a deal could happen this month. It looks as though the deal will be on an initial loan, with an obligation to buy at the end of the season.
Emery confirmed earlier this week that the Gunners were only in a position to sign players on loan this month because of a lack of available transfer funds.
Suarez is believed to have turned down the chance to move to West Ham in favour of reuniting with Emery. The two have previous experience of working together at Sevilla.
Best of the rest
- Watford have opened talks with Lyon over a deal for winger Maxwel Cornet, who is valued around the £20m mark (Mirror).
- Fulham have rejected a £50m bid for Aleksandar Mitrovic from Chinese outfit Guangzhou Evergrande (The Sun).
- West Ham are exploring the possibility of signing Newcastle’s Jonjo Shelvey this month, but face stern resistance from the Magpies (Daily Mail).
- Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka insists he is happy at the club, despite rumoured interest from Juventus (Daily Star).
- Arsenal are interested in making a summer move for Porto midfielder Hector Herrera, who has turned down a new deal in Portugal (The Sun).
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has decided to keep striker Divock Origi at Anfield for the remainder of the season, despite interest from Wolves (Liverpool Echo).
- Jadon Sancho is happy to stay at Borussia Dortmund despite interest from former club Manchester City (Daily Mail).