Ronald Koeman is confident Everton are close to striking a deal with Swansea for playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson.
The Everton manager has also revealed the club have received no firm interest in midfielder Ross Barkley and the England international is now back in training after groin surgery.
Everton have had two approaches for Sigurdsson turned down by the Swans after being heavily linked with the 27-year-old throughout the summer.
Swansea are thought to be holding out for £50million and their manager Paul Clement has suggested negotiations are currently at an impasse.
But Koeman claimed last weekend a deal could be imminent and he still feels that is the case.
Sigurdsson will not be involved in Swansea’s squad for their Premier League opener at Southampton on Saturday as the saga continues.
Koeman said: “It’s still close. That has not changed. I heard some rumours that talks had broken down but still we are in negotiations with Swansea.
“I heard the comments of Paul Clement, the manager of Swansea, and of course everybody would like to have news.
“That is better for us, better for them, but everybody knows the window is difficult. It is always a game between the buying club and the selling club but we are close and let’s hope we get the agreement as soon as possible.
“We are not in a hurry but finally we hope to do the deal.”
Barkley’s future has also been the subject of considerable speculation over the summer with Koeman even saying last month he believed the 23-year-old would move on.
But with no other clubs having approached Everton about Barkley, Koeman says the player could yet have a role at Goodison Park this season.
Barkley, who is now in the final year of his contract, will not feature against Stoke this weekend following a recent operation but he is working with the squad as normal.
Koeman said: “He is back in training. That is the first good news for him and us. He was participating in the last two training sessions.
“He lost a long period in the pre-season and I don’t have any update. There is no offer on the table for Ross. That means he will stay in Everton.
“What will happen in the coming weeks I don’t know. I expect to have offers because he made the decision not to sign a new contract, but if there is no interest then he will stay and be part of the team and the best XI will start the game.”