Upgrade to BT Sport

To view this content you need to upgrade your subscription from BT Sport Lite to BT Sport Pack.

Click here to get BT Sport now

Tyson Fury names potential next opponent after revealing he will return to the ring in October

Tyson Fury is casting his eye over American heavyweights as the lineal champion plans another Stateside bout before the rematch with Deontay Wilder takes place in early 2020.

Tyson Fury namechecked several potential opponents after confirming he plans to fight in America again later this year.

The lineal heavyweight champion spoke to BT Sport when taking in cousin Nathan Gorman’s defeat to Daniel Dubois on the Heavy Duty card.

Join now to watch big-time boxing exclusively live on BT Sport

The Gypsy King made his Las Vegas debut against Tom Schwarz in June and made light work of the unbeaten German to secure a second round stoppage.

Fury, who previously faced Deontay Wilder in Los Angeles, says his next outing in October will also be in the US.

Having fought Stateside just once in his first 27 fights, the 30-year-old is clearly relishing his run of bouts in America and reflected on his latest victory.

“It was the American dream,” Fury told BT Sport’s Paul Dempsey.

“I came out in the Uncle Sam suit, put on a good show against a tough, willing and unbeaten number-two ranked opponent.

“I entertained and had fun. I’m not here to be just some boxer who’s been a world champion, I’m here to enjoy the latter years of my career.

“I was built to be a Las Vegas showman.

“I’ve been building up to this for quite a long time and I’m happy that I’ve finally got the big fights in America – I’m crossing the pond and winning.

“I’m going to go back in October, knock out some American, and then again go back over in February and kick Deontay Wilder’s a** again.”

Although no date with Wilder has officially been confirmed by Fury or the Bronze Bomber’s camps, the Manchester boxer insists the rematch is on.

Before that though, he plans to go toe-to-toe with another American and says he is currently shortlisting opponents for an October date.

Fury added: “I’m looking at opponents, ESPN want an American opponent that is well known

“I suggested Jarrell Miller. He’s well known, he’s unbeaten and was highly ranked.

“There’s also Trevor Bryan on the list and he’s supposed to be fighting Manuel Charr for the WBA belt.

“There’s a couple of other Americans that nobody has really heard of, or they’ve got no reputation, so we’re between a rock and a hard place.

“There’s obviously Wilder but that’s been done for February so we need an October opponent.”

Miller was scheduled to face Anthony Joshua earlier this year but sensationally failed three drugs test in the build-up to their Madison Square Garden fight.

Andy Ruiz Jr stepped in at short notice and shocked the world when he knocked out Joshua to secure the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles.

The outspoken American was handed a six-month ban that expires on September 19 so would be free to face Fury if the fight can be made.

Fellow unbeaten New York-based boxer Bryan is the WBA interim world heavyweight champion but has not fought since August 2018.

In May it was reported that Bryan had agreed terms to fight WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight champion Charr, with the winner of that becoming the mandatory for Ruiz’s WBA (Super) belt.

Details of that fight are yet to emerge however, so the 29-year-old could be available for an October showdown with Fury on his home soil.

Relaxed and jovial, Fury was in good form at the O2 Arena and even joked that BT Sport pundit David Haye could be his next opponent.

“Who knows who the opponent might be in October? Maybe David Haye is going to make a comeback,” said the former WBA (Super), IBF, WBO world champion.

“He’s looking slim, he’s looking in great shape, he’s still good looking, he’s still got it!”

Haye, who retired last year, laughed off Fury’s comeback invitation with the two former rivals now at ease with one and other.

The pair were set to meet in 2013 but injuries forced Haye to pull out twice before their bout was cancelled, something that angered Fury at the time but clearly now longer irks the heavyweight.

Enhanced Video Player: Full Cards

    Boxing Listings